The well-known bucket list. You can also call it a “Personal wish list of your life dreams”, or “Things to do before I die”. For the more serious people among us: “Goal setting”!
Do you have a bucket list? Did you write your aspirations down yet? If not, you better get started right now. Check out why you should have a bucket list and how to make it happen.
When I wrote my first bucket list, it was back in 2005. I put down a couple of things I would like to do in the near future and left it inside some book on the shelf at home and totally forgot about it.
Two years later, I found the little paper accidentally while browsing through my books and reread it. Eight out of ten things became true during those past two years, without me even thinking about it too much. It was crazy how happy I was!
Why should you have a bucket list?
Everybody should have a bucket list and this bucket list should be written down. This is very important. We, humans, work towards goals automatically – as long as goals are set (with a deadline).
- It reminds you why you are here on this planet and what your purpose is,
- It motivates you to have an amazing life,
- Brings you clarity about your dreams,
- Helps to show yourself who you are,
- Gives you an amazing feeling if you can tick off one of the things on your list.
Without any goals in life – what are you working towards every day? What gets you out of bed?
How to start a bucket list?
Sit down, think about the future, create a five-year fantasy and imagine that there are no limitations. Make yourself a list and keep the following points in mind:
- Travel destinations (Of course! Tell me one person who thinks traveling is boring!)
- Professional goals (Which job/ position you would like to have or onto what level would you like to push your business within the next 5 years?)
- Personal goals (e.g. where and how would you like to live? Do you want a partner/family? etc.,)
- Activities (Would you like to climb Kilimanjaro? Would you like to dive with sharks?)
- Financial goals (How much would you like to earn?)
- Social community & involvement (Are you happy with the people around you? Are you socially active in any organizations? Are you joining any clubs?)
- Health and fitness level (Do you live a healthy lifestyle? Do you follow any sports? Would you like to start? Put it on the list!)
Keep your bucket list, whether digitally or physically, in a place where you can get back to it easily. Take a quick look at it every now and then. It doesn’t make any sense to bury this list in the back corner of your desk, nor does it make sense to create this bucket list only in your mind.
Get your pen and paper ready to create your ideal future! Write down anything you want to achieve in your life and remember NO LIMITATIONS.
When you send a goal message to your reticular cortex, it starts to make you intensely aware of and alert to people, information, and opportunities in your environment that will help you to achieve your goal.”
– Brian Tracy
An interesting read I highly recommend on this topic is Goals! How to Get Everything You Want – Faster Than You Ever Thought Possible by Brian Tracy. It will change your life. Promise!
Please leave a comment and let me know what’s on your personal bucket list! Do you have any cool ideas to put on a bucket list? Do you also think that everybody needs a bucket list? Share your thoughts!
Do you know someone who doesn’t have a bucket list but really should have one? Spread the word!